Monday, January 7, 2013

Whatever Happened to Wonder Woman?

Like many DC Fanboys and Fangirls across the world, I waited with baited breath for wonder woman to get picked up to series back in 2011. Sadly, it wasn't meant to be. I was somewhat surprised that it never received a digital release, as did the Aquaman pilot from a few years ago via iTunes. However,I have kept my eyes on the internets and occasionally considered purchasing one of the preview discs off of ebay. But since you never know what kind of quality you are getting with an unofficial release I have obstained. Until now. A friend sent me a link to a recently posted (and very low quality) stream of the pilot, and seeing as we are two years on and there is no release in sight; I gave it a go. And I was pleasantly surprised. Adrianne Palicki was perfectly lovable as Wonder Woman, while still maintaining a certain air of standoffishness as Diana. David E Kelley's version see's our favorite Amazon living her life out loud so to speak. As both Wonder Woman and Diana at the same time, she saves lives and works at a company full time. While the script was far from perfect, it reminded me of a mediocre mid-season filler episode instead of a pilot, it wasn't the disaster that was depicted by the press either. The special effects were rough and unpolished but the choreography was fun and Adrianne can really dish out the pain. Cary Elwes was funny and engaging as her boss/agent while Elizabeth Hurley made for an appropriately menacing foe. I think some of the dialogue needed to be flushed out, but the story could have easily been played out over the course of two episodes had they decided to add in a little of Diana's signature detective work. Then again, that's not what Kelley was going for. Over all, i'd give it 3 out of 5 stars. A decent enough episode that would have been much more polished by the time it hit our screens, but far from the panned stinker that so many have made it out to be. I would have liked to see what else Mr. Kelley would have done, but alas, no. So, sayonara my friends. Here's hoping that Wonder Womans next foray onto our screens will me more successful...

No comments:

Post a Comment